I always knew through common sense that much of my health future would be due to what I ate each day. But, through the years there have been all kinds of diets introduced through the media touting health benefits and weight management, which made it hard to tell which ones were really good for me.
When I turned 50, someone forwarded me a video of a Doctor who had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and she found that she was able to reverse most of the symptoms of her MS by following what is known as the "Paleo Diet".
Although the video intrigued me, the real turning point came when less than a week later, my personal physician (a holistic, alternative practitioner) told me that he and his wife had started a diet that he really believed was great for health. He called it the "Hunter-Gatherer" diet. As he described it to me, I realized he was referring to the "Paleo Diet".
Here is a definition which I found which describes the Paleo Diet:
"a diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting chiefly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy or grain products and processed food."
In its most basic form, it is a diet that consumes foods that our ancestors (caveman) would have eaten. WHOLE, UNPROCESSED FOOD!
From that point on, my husband and I decided to try the Paleo Diet, and we LOVE it! There are many delicious recipes out there in books and on the internet. Here are some great paleo recipes.
I can honestly say that this diet is one that has measurably changed our health. One example, my husband always struggled to get good blood work numbers each year for his physicals. After starting the Paleo Diet, ALL his lab numbers improved. My lab numbers were always pretty good, but now they are even better!
Another major benefit we noticed was the ease of maintaining our weights on this diet (which is actually a lifestyle, not a fad diet). Also, the Paleo diet fights inflammation in the body, which is a major cause of so many illnesses today. I noticed that my joints and back hurt much less when I started eating the Paleo foods.
What if there was a "magical" pill that could cure most of the diseases that are plaguing us today? Well, there is a supplement that has been used for thousands of years in many areas across Asia to PREVENT many of the diseases that are so widespread today in America. The supplement is called Turmeric extract, with its main active ingredient, Curcumin!
The main reason this supplement is so effective at fighting disease is because it is HIGHLY anti-inflammatory. As I have mentioned before, inflammation is the root cause of so many diseases, such as cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, skin disorders, and arthritis.
I discovered the benefits of Turmeric when I was suffering from Arthritis pain symptoms in my lower back. My uncle mentioned this supplement to me during the holidays in 2014 that he found really helped one of his friends with pain. Turmeric has been found to be just as effective as anti-inflammatory drugs, but with no drug-induced side effects.
However, my primary introduction to Turmeric was through my son. He had recently started suffering from severe cystic acne primarily on his face and back. Therefore, being my son, he began searching for a holistic approach to acne, and he stumbled across Turmeric online as a quick and long term fix to Cysts. He is able to take a few at night if he feels the start of a cyst, and it will dramatically reduce any swelling on the cyst by morning. He also takes a couple of the supplements in the morning as a preventative to new cysts and this has really helped manage his symptoms!
We were so impressed with the alleviation of our symptoms that we researched other benefits Turmeric provides, such as:
1. Turmeric dramatically increases the antioxidant capability in the body, which fights many cancers and diseases.
2. Studies show it can be just as effective as anti-depressants in fighting depression.
3. Turmeric boosts levels of brain hormones which increases growth of brain neurons and fights brain diseases.
4. It improves insulin sensitivity for diabetes management.
5. Turmeric is wonderful for pain management due to its anti-inflammatory benefits.
For our family, this is one supplement we will NOT be without. Luckily, it is not expensive and can be found at this link:
It is important to note that turmeric is best taken with a black pepper extract for ultimate absorption and effectiveness in the body.
One of the things I dislike most about winter is the cold dry air. When the humidity drops, I tend to notice a definite dryness to my skin that is due to the winter air. That is why I am so excited to share a new discovery that I am using this winter (and actually I am using Emu Oil Year-Round now) that really combats my dryness!
It is called EMU OIL and as the name implies, it comes from the EMU bird, which is closely related to the ostrich. I came across this wonderful oil during my research.
I started using the oil on top of my night creams and serums before bedtime, and I really noticed a soft moisturized complexion in the morning. I love that it is very inexpensive, and I decided to research a little more about why the EMU oil is so fantastic for the skin and this what I learned:
1. Emu Oil has been used for thousands of years by the Aborigines people of Australia to combat skin issues of the dry desert climate.
2. Emu Oil has high levels of Essential Fatty Acids, such as Linoleic Acid, which are very healing to the skin. It is anti-inflammatory and aids with a wide variety of skin disorders, such as Eczema.
3. It fights aging and wrinkles in three ways. First, it is extremely moisturizing and keeps the skin supple when applied. Secondly, it fights aging because it has trans-dermal qualities. This means that it is able to penetrate to the deep layer of the dermis where collagen and elastin are found. Even more exciting is the fact that if it is put on top of creams and serums, it helps to push those ingredients down to the dermis where real changes can happen in the skin. Finally, it has been proven to help thicken the skin when used regularly (aging skin is thin skin)!
4. It can be used in the hair as a softening and smoothing agent.
5. It is great for rubbing into sore muscles and arthritic joints to relieve pain.
6. It helps with acne, scars, stretch marks, burns and scrapes!
I am in love with Emu Oil, and love the fact that it is considered VERY safe to use by the Skin Deep website! After using the Emu Oil for over a year now, I have really noticed great things happen to my skin, such as less fine lines and better texture!