Did you know that the average woman applies over 10 products daily to her skin and hair? Did you know that she also exposes her body to between 126 and 200 CHEMICALS to her skin daily? Many of these chemicals are harmful toxins and hormone disruptors that penetrate the body’s largest organ (your skin) and enter the bloodstream and body!
Many of the chemicals in skin and hair products are known to cause allergies, eczema, skin rashes and diseases, hormone disruptions and even worse CANCER! I myself lost my thyroid gland to a very serious disease, and I do believe that the chemicals I was using had a big part in my disease.
After completing my studies in Natural Skin Care, I realized that this topic is VERY important to me, especially since I have two baby grand-daughters that are precious to me! I don’t want anything harming them, much less items that can be avoided!
The information can be overwhelming, so one of the best things that you can do for your family is to visit the Environmental Working Group’s website called SKIN DEEP: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/top-tips-for-safer-products/
On this website, their experts and scientists work hard to rate and test products and ingredients for their safety profile for us consumers. They also have an APP called HEALTHY LIVING (EWG) that you can download to your phone that allows you to scan beauty products from the store to see their safety.
Among some of the toxins and hormone disruptors that are regularly used in beauty products that should be AVOIDED are the following:
- Parabens (Propyl, Methyl, Isopropyl, Butyl, Isobutyl) - Linked to hormone disruptions, like early puberty in young girls and thyroid problems.
- Fragrances - Cause Allergies/Skin irritations and Hormone disruptions
- Formaldehyde and Formaldehyde Releasers: Strong evidence of CANCER (Formaldehyde is commonly used in hair chemical straighteners, nail polishes, eyelash glue, makeup, etc.)
- Hydroquinone: Used in skin lighteners and linked to skin diseases.
- Vitamin A (Retinyl or Retinol): Avoid these especially in sunscreens and day lotions as they can actually spur on skin cancer.
There are many more VERY harmful chemicals and toxins so I encourage EACH of you to enter your skin care items and ingredients into the SKIN DEEP website or app to find out what you and your family are using!
Now, the good news is that there are LOTS of HEALTHY alternatives in skin and hair care. I have found that these products are actually better for the skin and do more for ANTI-AGING. Healthy products are more effective on wrinkles, skin dryness, hair shininess, etc.!
Some of my HEALTHY favorites are:
- Oils, such as EMU, Avocado, Argan, Jojoba, Coconut, Castor, Olive
- Butters, such as Shea, Coconut
- Aloe Vera
- Natural Clays
- Safe sunscreens that use: Zinc Oxide
- Items with the USDA ORGANIC green label are also highly rated with over 95% organic ingredients (But, DON'T be mislead by skincare companies that use the words organic and natural. This may just mean that only a small part of the product is safe. I have researched many "all-natural" products that still have dangerous chemicals in them.)
I urge each of you to do your research on your products especially the products used on the little ones! You can easily do this as your current product runs out and you are repurchasing. Just make the switch to a healthier alternative!
I feel this topic is SO incredibly important that you may contact me on my website with any questions, and I will try to help you with any product you may wish to change.
It is really important to stay HEALTHY while looking BEAUTIFUL :)